Before installing Zowe™, ensure that your environment meets the prerequisites.
Common system requirements
z/OS Version 2.2 or later.
IBM z/OS Management Facility (z/OSMF) Version 2.2 or Version 2.3
z/OSMF is a prerequisite for the Zowe microservices, Zowe Desktop applications, and Zowe CLI. z/OSMF must be installed and running before you use Zowe.
- For non-production use of Zowe (such as development, proof-of-concept, demo), you can customize the configuration of z/OSMF to create what is known as "z/OS MF Lite" that simplifies the setup of z/OSMF. As z/OS MF Lite only supports selected REST services (JES, DataSet/File, TSO and Workflow), you will observe considerable improvements in start up time as well as a reduction in the efforts involved in setting up z/OSMF. For information about how to set up z/OSMF Lite, see Configuring z/OSMF Lite (non-production environment)
- For production use of Zowe, see Configuring z/OSMF.
Zowe Application Framework requirements
Node.js version 22.214.171.124 or later on the z/OS host where you install the Zowe Application Server. To install Node.js on z/OS, follow the instructions in Installing Node.js on z/OS.
IBM SDK for Java Technology Edition V8 or later
833 MB of HFS file space
- Google Chrome V66 or later
- Mozilla Firefox V60 or later
- Safari V12.0 or later
- Microsoft Edge 17 (Windows 10)
Zowe CLI requirements
Zowe CLI is supported on platforms where Node.js 8.0 or 10 is available, including Windows, Linux, and Mac operating systems.
Node.js V8.0 or later on your computer
Tip: You might need to restart the command prompt after installing Node.js. Issue the command
node --versionto verify that Node.js is installed. As a best practice, we recommend that you update Node.js regularly to the latest Long Term Support (LTS) version.
Node Package Manager V5.0 or later on your computer.
npm is included with the Node.js installation. Issue the command
npm --versionto verify that npm is installed.
Free disk space
Zowe CLI requires approximately 100 MB of free disk space. The actual quantity of free disk space consumed might vary depending on the operating system where you install Zowe CLI.