Version: v2.3.x LTS
Using the Editor
Using the Editor
With the Zowe Editor, you can create and edit the many types of files.
Specifying a highlighting language
- Click Language on the editor menu bar. A dropdown menu will be displayed.
- From the dropdown, select the desired language. Plain Text will be chosen by default if the automatic language detection is not able to determine the language.
Open a dataset
To open a dataset, follow these steps:
- From the File menu, select Open Datasets. You can also use (ALT+K).
- In the Dataset field, specify the name of the dataset you want to open.
- Click Open
Deleting a file or folder
- In the file tree, right-click on a file or folder you want to delete.
- From the right-click menu, click Delete. A warning dialogue will appear.
- Click Delete
Opening a directory
- From the File menu, select Open Directory. You can also use (ALT+O).
- In the Directory field, specify the name of the directory you want to open. For example:
- Click Open
The File Explorer on the left side of the window lists the folders and files in the specified directory. Clicking on a folder expands the tree. Clicking on a file opens a tab that displays the file contents. Double-clicking on a folder will make the active directory the newly specified folder.
Creating a new directory
- Right-click on a location in the directory tree where you want to create a new directory.
- From the right-click menu, click Create a directory....
- Specify a directory name in the Directory Name field.
- The Path will be set to the location that you initially right-clicked to open the dialogue. You can specify a different location in the Path field.
- Click Create
Creating a new file
To create a new file, complete these steps:
- From the File menu, select New File. You can also use (ALT+N).
- From the File menu, select Save to save the newly created file. You can also use (Ctrl+S)
- In the File Name field, specify the file name for the newly created file.
- Choose an encoding option from the Encoding dropdown menu. The directory will be prefilled if you are creating the new file in an existing folder.
- Click Save
- To close a file, click the X icon in its tab, double-click on the tab, or use (Alt+W).
The following hotkeys can be used in the editor to navigate or perform actions with only the keyboard.
- Shift TAB: Cycle through the menu bar, browsing type, search bar, file tree, and editor component.
- Individual options within the menu bar and individual nodes within the file tree can be navigated with the arrow keys and ENTER (to select).
|ALT+K||Open a dataset|
|ALT+O||Open a directory|
|ALT+N||Create a new file|
|ALT+W+Shift||Close all tabs|
|ALT+M||Navigate Menu bar (use arrow keys)|
|ALT+P||Search Bar focus|
|ALT+1||Primary editing component focus|
|ALT+T+CTRL||Undo close/close all|
|ALT+R+Shift||Refresh active tab|
|ALT+PgUp(or <)||Switch to left tab|
|ALT+PgDown(or >)||Switch to right tab|
|ALT+B||Show/hide left-hand side file tree|